Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grappling With ‘Colonial Mentality’

For the first time in perhaps 40 years I was an active participant in a conversation about ‘colonial mentality’. The occasion was an early dinner meeting with former high school classmates of the graduating class of 1960. It was a pleasant enough rendezvous, savoring Filipino cuisine in a Santa Clara, California restaurant. I cannot exactly recall how the conversation drifted into the issue of ‘colonial mentality’, but it did.

Are we the possessors of a ‘colonial mentality’? Do we harbor deep seated, albeit unconscious, admiration for our colonizers, first the Spaniards and then the Americans, and therefore speak and act with a pronounced bias for their values and ways?

I remember that in the course of my abbreviated college tenure, the early 1960’s, there was a stigma, among the young, that was associated with the perceived harboring of a ‘colonial mentality’. It was a phrase we liberally used to describe what we considered the ‘antiquated’ thinking of our elders, who, as survivors of WWII had a great affinity for Americans.

At this dinner in Santa Clara I was asked directly whether we should, as immigrants to the US, consider ourselves as possessors of a ‘colonial mentality’.
Well, on the one level, I made a conscious effort to immigrate, and, upon completion of my naturalization process I swore allegiance to the American flag and renounced allegiance to any other country. I took, and continue to take, my naturalization vows quite seriously, as I’m sure millions of immigrants likewise do.

I also was impressed by the words of the judge administering the oath who, in his post-ceremony remarks urged us to be “good Americans”. Be good neighbors, he said. “Value liberty and be prepared to protect it in every way you can. Pay your taxes diligently. Obey our laws. Honor our traditions. Love and support your new country. Bring the best from your past and your cultures to your new land and enhance this mosaic that is America”. And those words resonated with me and helped drive my transformation.

So back to the question that my colleague at dinner asked, do I then harbor a ‘colonial mentality’? Well, not only did I adopt the ways of our erstwhile colonizers, I actually moved over to join them and be one of them. Did I possess a ‘colonial mentality’ when I was still in the Philippines and is this what propelled me to come over and join the ‘enemy’, so to speak?
I, like many from my generation, and that of my parents, had an affinity for things American. We wore jeans, we smoked Marlboros, most of my English major friends all wanted to be the 2nd coming of Ernest Hemingway and we of course expressed ourselves in American English. We danced to American music and most of our singers were copycats of whichever singer was in vogue. Frank Sinatra had a huge Filipino male following among the elder generation( my late father included) hence a Filipino party usually featured someone belting out “My Way”). The younger generations swayed to Elvis Presley’s hips. And, needless to say, we were, many of us, brainwashed by our parents who had great affinity for America because many of them were educated by Americans during that period between the two world wars. And Americans were considered more down to earth, friendlier, in comparison to our previous colonizers, the Spaniards.

( The famed Philippine author Nick Joaquin wrote a novel titled “ A Woman with Two Navels” a metaphorical allusion to the indelible scars – in the form of navels- the result of the Philippines’ seeming umbilical attachment to two colonizing cultures, Spain and America.)

I remember in the 1969 presidential election, Serging Osmena Jr., responding to remarks that he was “America’s boy”, dared his opponents to publicly make that statement, understanding that a majority of Filipinos at that time, if they were asked to vote, would support outright statehood. It also brought to mind that famous quote attributed to Manuel L. Quezon in the 1930’s ,who, discussing options for the Philippines including statehood, supposedly averred that, “I would rather have a country run like hell by Filipinos, than one run like heaven by Americans.”

Well, judging from the tenures of the Marcoses, the Estradas and the Macapagal-Arroyos, and the “hell” they have left in their tracks, I doubt if Quezon would feel the same way.

Speaking for myself economics was a factor for emigrating, for sure. But probably more than that it was opportunity that was the main consideration. As in, if I stayed back home my opportunities were very limited, whereas if I emigrated my vista of opportunities widened. And I am sure the millions of Filipinos who are now US citizens share this sentiment.

Yet it is really more than that. Our exposure to America was not limited to Marlboros, movies and Hemingway. We were also exposed to the ideas of freedom, equality and fair play.( Ideals that may have been direly tested many a time as I’m sure many of us have, from time to time at least, perhaps felt the painful sting of racial discrimination and unfair treatment).

America is replete with examples of immigrants making good in many fields of endeavor or commercial enterprise. In America we have a chance at achieving our many dreams, opportunities which, in our country of origin, may have been limited to a few. The fact that 8 million Filipinos (and counting) have taken contractual overseas employment even as maids, underscores the drought of opportunities in the Philippines.

So to the charge of ‘colonial mentality’? Perhaps viewed from the prism of the 1960’s when a revived sense of nationalism was sweeping the Philippine youth movement, sure, at that time I too despised ‘colonial mentality’. But by the time I left in 1972 I had a different mindset. And today my honest response is that it is an irrelevant question. While I love my adopted country I have not in any way diminished my love for the Philippines. There is a book authored by Carlos Bulosan, an immigrant in the 1930’s titled “America is in the Heart”. That statement, in a sense, perhaps helps explain the lure of America. Not only Filipinos, but millions of people around the world continue to look at America as an ideal, and what it stands for is engraved in many hearts. Sure, America has problems but it is a country and a situation very few would trade for anything else regardless their 'mentality'

7 comments:

  1. Excellent! It is very much how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From reader Tony:
    Leandro :

    in your article, you wrote that the majority of Filipinos in 1969 would have voted for statehood in the American union. Well, today's "nationalists" (sincere or pseudo due to patently dubious reasons) will be surprised that it will not only be the same in 2010, the numbers will have increased to an overwhelming majority. The daily long queues at the U.S. consulate of Filipinos seeking U.S. visas (despite the high cost of obtaining just the application form - without guaranty of a visa being issued) speak more eloquently than any journalist's pen.

    It is not merely the economic opportunities presented by the great American economy, fraught as it is now with what appears to be Catch 22 situations in its efforts at a recovery from the great recession, although the hundreds of thousands of overseas contract workers is sufficient evidence of that particular motivation.

    It is the utter frustration of the ordinary Juan and Maria de la Cruz at the Philippine justice system (even using the adjective "justice" is a farce) .... and hopelessness at making any headway whatsoever in minimizing (forget eliminating) the endemic graft and corruption in society - starting from political leaders to the judges, prosecutors and law enforcers supposed to be the guardians of justice, and the rapacious mega business dynasties The failure to convict big-time grafters has elicited the reaction - "ho hum, another zarzuela or huwag magalit, joke lamang" to the lawsuits filed (or never to be filed) against the Marcoses, the Gen. Garcias, the Jocjoc Bolantes, the Macapagal-Arroyos, the Abaloses etc. ad nauseam infinitum. The conviction of Erap was even an insult to the Filipino people because he was given what was reported as an unconditional pardon almost immediately after, and which allowed him to seek again the highest elective position of the country. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. From reader Jess, Sept 29

    Hi, Mr. Quintana! I read in full, and with pleasure, your dissertation on the subject "Colonial Mentality" and now conclude that we are about on the same boat. As a 30-year employee of the defunct US Naval Base in Subic Bay, my group fought alongside the volunteers of then Olongapo City Mayor Dick Gordon in defending the retention of the US Bases in the Philippines -- the sole source of livelihood for our 200,000 plus city residents -- against the onslaught of the President Estrada forces (that reportedly included hired marchers) trying to 'invade' our city to confront Base authorities. Our group of defenders was branded as having "colonial mentality," even by mass media for protecting the people-friendly American cause, and our own livelihood. Yet, look what happened. Consequent to our tormentor President Estrada's aborted rule, and even after the decade-long reign of his lady successor, the RP 'Run Like Hell' connotation envisioned by Commonwealth President Quezon came out true. Is this the price of earning the right of self-rule? Whatever it is, it is quite different from the American rule (1901-46) when RP was second to Japan as most progressive in the region and the peso was trading at P2 to $1. Pinoy life THEN was very different from Pinoy life NOW. Be it 'colonial mentality,' but admiring what is right makes me happier, but because I also love the country of my birth, I recently wrote a short article intended for publication entitled "REVERSING THE RP 'RUN LIKE HELL' SYNDROME," which, deep inside, I feel would be difficult to do under the present circumstances. Sherman Oaks, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only tonight (Aug 21) read your comments. I was just thinking, would the Chinese govt boldly invade and take over the Sptratleys if the Americans were still in Subic? I don't thinkso.

      Delete
  4. From Cebu reader Vee

    WHAT A VERY BEAUTIFUL ARTICLE, AN EYE OPENER AND AN
    INSPIRATION.. TO SOME, MIGRATING HAS BEEN OPEN TO SOME
    DEBATE ON THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS SUBJECT MATTER..I
    REMEMBER MY SON TELLING ME, "MOM, MOST OF OUR DREAMS
    CAME TRUE WHEN WE CAME TO AMERICA, THANK YOU FOR GIVING
    US THE PROPER EDUCATION TO ACHIEVE THEM."..ANOTHER VERY
    THOUGHT PROVOKING PIECE LEE,AS ALWAYS..THANK YOU FOR
    SHARING.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. From reader Jules who knows me from our Manila
    past:



    The article you wrote is perfect... however, I wish to insert a tiny correction on the main reason for your immigration... You were two steps ahead of everybody... You beat the Marcos Gestapos to the airport!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From reader Flor:

    I appreciate your pieces on colonial mentality and soul-searching.
    Please continue with this self-examination. More power to you,

    ReplyDelete